Springtime in Dorset

Springtime in Dorset

Reminiscing those special memories of past holidays on the Jurassic Coast in early spring.

A green field with trees and a body of water

Description automatically generated

The view from Eype’s Mouth Hotel

A group of people posing for a selfie

Description automatically generated

A person and person standing on a gravel path

Description automatically generated

A person standing on a beach

Description automatically generated

A person and person standing on a beach

Description automatically generated

A group of people walking on a path

Description automatically generated

Walking up towards the Golden Cap

A field with leaves and trees

Description automatically generated

Walking around St Gabriel’s {National Trust) Estate.

A group of people walking on a path

Description automatically generated

Symondsbury – A brief History

At Domesday the lands were owned by the Abbot of Cerne. The Tithe Barn, built around1440, was the third largest and second oldest Barn in Dorset. Following the Dissolution by Henry VIII, the estate came into the ownership of the Duke of Somerset. Part of the estate was sold to the Earl of Ilchester at the end of the 17th century. The various parcels of land making up the Symondsbury Estate eventually came into the hands of the Colfox family who were Wool chandlers in Bridport for around 600 years. Up until the 2nd World War the Manor Farm grew hemp to supply the rope and linen factories in Bridport.

Colmers Hill – significant local landmark

The name is taken from the Colmer family who were tenants during the mid-17th century. The hill was bought by Major WP Colfox in 1910. Other names for Colmers Hill include Sigismund’s Berg (in reference to a Viking Invader of that name) and Flagstaff Hill from its use as a rifle range when a flag would indicate when it was in action.

Comments are closed.